Many people use mailing service in their area but it’s not easy to mail an envelope. There is the most important thing to mail an envelope is how to write postal address? Most of the people use the wrong address format to mail an envelope. That’s the only reason that their envelope does not deliver on time, so that, they need to change their way of writing an address. In this article, we are going to explain how to properly address an envelope? Keep reading this article till the end:
How to Address Mail?
Most people don’t know how to address mail correctly? When they write a letter, they always confused about where should they write an address either left side of the envelope or the right side. This confusion makes a very big difference to mail an envelope. Your way of writing an address in the wrong format on the envelope also creates confusion in delivery man’s mind until it has written in the right address format. If you are one of them then, this article will help you to know how to properly address an envelope?
Format of addressing letters and parcels mailed within Canada:-
- Always write in Uppercase letters also known as capital letters or block letters.
- Write information like the title or floor above the street address.
- Always use a hyphen(-) between unit/suite/apartment number and the street number. Never use # symbol.
- Abbreviate the street type. Example: “AVE” for “Avenue.” See a complete list of abbreviations for street types.
- Abbreviate the street direction. Example: “SE” for “Southeast.” See a complete list of abbreviations for street directions.
- Write city name, province name and postal code on the same line.
- Abbreviate the province. Example: “ON” for “Ontario.” See a complete list of abbreviations for provinces and territories.
- Separate the first and last 3 elements of the postal code with space. Don’t use hyphens.
- Put 1 space between the city and the province.
- Put 2 spaces between the province and the postal code.
How to Write Address on Mail?
It is not a big task to write an address on mail correctly. There so many formats that you can choose to write in your mail. It depends where you are sending your mail either in your domestic country or international destination. Here, we are going to tell you how to write address on mail for Canada, U.S, and International destinations. We also have added an image showing the right format to address a mail for Canada, U.S, and International destinations. Keep reading this article till the end.
Canada Post provides two types of envelopes. (i) Standard Envelope, (ii) Large Envelopes
(i) Standard Envelopes:
(ii) Large Envelopes:
Canada Mail Address Format:-
Canada Mail Address Format for Civic Address:
Canada Mail Address Format for Civic Address with Additional Delivery Information:
Canada Mail Address Format for Civic Address in Rural Area:
Canada Mail Address Format for Rural Route Address:
Canada Mail Address Format for Rural Route Address with Civic Address:
Canada Mail Address Format for Rural Route Address with Additional Address Information:
US Mail Address Format:-
In the US mail address format, Elements must be prepared according to their postal address standards on mail items handled by the United States Postal Service.
- All U.S.A mail items must be addressed to a particular person or business/company name.
- When you are putting a delivery address on an envelope, it should contain all the important components such as primary address number, pre-directional, street name, suffix, post-directional, secondary address identifier, and secondary address. It is mandatory to put one space between address elements.
- You should put a full city name and should be mentioned as the first component in the second last line of the address block.
- The state’s abbreviation of the two-letter is preferred over the full state name. The short name of the state should appear on the second-last line of the address block after the name of the city, which is separated by a space. A complete list of States, territories and possessions names and abbreviations U.S.A. is given below:
- A zipcode must be separated by 2 spaces from state abbreviation. It may either 5 or 9 digits. If there is a nine-digit zip code format is used then there should be a hyphen used between 5th and 6th digits.
- The country name must be used in the last line of the address block. It is placed alone below the city name and zip code information.
International Mail Address Format:-
We have explained below how to address international mail? International mail address format should contain the following information.
- All International mail items must be addressed to a particular person or business/company name.
- To ensure proper processing, the country’s name should be correct and accurately written (e.g. UAE is not acceptable for the UNITED ARAB EMIRATES).
- The country name must be used in the last tine of the address block. It is placed alone below the city name and zip code information.